As yogis, we share a passion for observing the contents of our consciousness. From this examination comes the pivotal question: Who is the I? It is by asking similar questions that we hope to reach deeper into our subconscious and superconscious minds. Through different states of consciousness such as sleep, daydream, and full alertness, we can experience more of ourselves and understand the complexity of our actual existence. Whether we are aware of it or not, our minds naturally travel through various states during which brain waves move at different frequencies. These frequencies define our existential experience.
Once we grasp this, we can go a step beyond and intentionally alter our states of consciousness. Although in Western society, this often entails the use of mind altering substances, ancient wisdom and cultures have shown that a broad range of tools can be used to learn about our minds. Entering a trance state is one way to use our senses to slow down our brain waves and tap into different states of consciousness. This can be done through various methods such as with rhythm, breath work, meditation, visualization and hypnosis. When contextualized, the new perspectives gained from such methods can be used to witness more in our conscious states.
At Momentom Collective, a community of circus artists, travellers, digital nomads and entrepreneurs, we understand these implications and value the effects of specific brain waves in shaping our reality. For this reason, we incorporate awareness of states into everything we do for maximum personal transformation.
What happens at different frequencies of brain waves?
Here are some benefits of entering trance states:
1. Access theta frequency brain waves intentionally Theta waves are slower than our usual waking brain frequencies. This promotes deep relaxation, meditation, visualization and a view into higher consciousness. Our brains naturally cycle through theta waves before we wake up and go to sleep, but we do not usually use these changes to our benefit. By choosing when these waves are accessed, we can channel the different mind states produced to learn more about our subconscious.
2. Relieve stress Slower brain waves relax our nerves and calm our minds, which in turn reduces stress. Lower stress is an important factor for good health and immunity. Tranquility of the mind and body makes it easier to practice meditation and deeper introspection.
3. Healing A decrease in stress and a boost in immunity automatically support restorative wellness both physically and mentally. Once we learn to work with the particular energy of theta waves, the capacity to improve these aspects of health can be harnessed to heal ourselves and others.
4. Bypass the ego defences The ego is designed to protect us from fears that our mind perceives as factual beliefs. Trance states allow us to dive within, beyond the mask of the ego. This is where limiting beliefs can be challenged and reconsidered to better serve us.
5. Hyper learning Trance states leave the unconscious mind more accessible and open to new ideas. Learning is facilitated when we have access to more methods and tools. For example, improved problem solving and the ability to enter flow states more readily are both factors that can become available in a trance. Flow states allow for jumps in learning as the mind is no longer preoccupied by ordinary thoughts.
6. Better focus One way in which trance facilitates access to flow states is by allowing our mind to focus in on single aspects. By doing so, we develop more concentration, which if used to our advantage, ultimately leads to productivity.
7. New perspectives Using trance states in a context of learning changes our mind’s perception of how it filters information. By using our minds more efficiently, we can make progress in ways which are new to us. As a consequence, this can result in meaningful personal transformation.
8. Connect to all your dimensions By exploring lesser known regions of our consciousness, our natural senses such as intuition become enhanced. When we use trance states with purpose, awareness of our spiritual, physical, mental and emotional states becomes much clearer. As we develop mindfulness into our many layers, we can evolve in a multitude of directions.
9. Heightened creativity Trance states help us quiet our conscious mind which has been conditioned for analytical thinking. By letting go of the need to examine all of our conscious thoughts, we can become more attuned to our inner inspirations. As a result, the primitive unconscious mind becomes more present, powering our creativity.
10. Increase manifestation power Our beliefs, both limiting and expansive, are at the source of our power of manifestation. Trance states support renewal so that we can transform the beliefs that are holding us back from our true potential. In return, we can channel this energy towards manifesting the life we desire.
Momentom Collective will be attending the Gnaoua World Music Festival in Essaouira, Morocco from June 17 - 24th, 2019. Beyond the trance states that will be encountered at the festival, Momentom will integrate the experience through a yoga and sound retreat. Yoga, meditation, energy work, sound healing and more are all on the schedule. The combination of the festival and the accompanying workshops is ideal for personal development. For more information check out www.momentomcollective.com.